Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Story of Ian Jude's Birth

It all began on April 16, 2009...

A surprise positive on an HPT on June 10, 2009 - coincidentally, Grandma Le's birthday.

And 37 weeks later - an even bigger surprise - its a boy!

For 29 out of those 37 weeks, the time we knew we were expecting, we had decided to name this baby with the letter E, whether boy or girl.

And then....we decided that we wanted to spell Ian the traditional way, Ian rather then Ean.

But back to the birth...

I had been having contractions on and off, nothing major, since December 16, 2009.
On the 17th, found out that I was dilated 2 cm, 50% effaced, and the baby was at station -2.
One week passed, December 24, 2009, there was no change.
The weekend passes, December 28, 2009, we are still in good shape.
A few more contractions come and go, nothing major.
December 30, 2009, about noon I noticed the contractions were a little more frequent and so I start to watch the clock, about every 7 -10 minutes, still nothing major to stop me in my tracks or take my breath away. About 9:30 that night, I get one take my breath away contraction and 7 minutes later we call the nurse on call and she recommends that we head over to Good Sam.
We arrive about 10:25 and check into OB Triage, get settled in for a check up, and wait to see if we are going home. After almost 2 hours of monitoring, we get the go ahead to go home. But wait - after my trip to the ladies room, they notice that the baby's heart is decelerating after contractions, so they want to monitor another hour and do a fluid check. Three hours later, ultrasound finally comes to get me. I get back to OB Triage and the nurse comes in to let me know they have a room ready for me. Huh, why you ask? I had to ask as well, was my fluid low? No, the deceleration of the baby's heart continued as the contractions got stronger. I get into my Labor and Delivery room about 5:30AM on December 31, 2009.
They want to monitor me more and fit me into the C-section schedule sometime in the afternoon. One more check of the cervix and I get a pill to decrease the intensity of the contractions. I was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced. About an hour later, I am in the shower getting ready for my 9:30 c-section. What happened to the afternoon? I guess, since I was progressing, they wanted to fit me in sooner rather than in an emergency status.
9:00 AM comes and the nurse say's we've been bumped, so I try to get a couple of hours of sleep before they come in at 11:30 for me. I am then woken up at 10:00 and they are rushing to get me in....something wrong? No, they have the OR and want to make sure I don't get bumped again. So they wheel me back at 10:17.

The c-section went smoothly and was a differnt experience from when we had Aedyn. It seemed a lot more organized and informative.

Dr Elliot delivered our little surprise - it's a BOY! I looked over at Aaron and said we made a BOY! And boy does he have a pair of lungs on him!

Our Ian Jude was born at 10:57 AM on December 31, 2009. He was 6 pounds 10 ounces and 19 inches tall.

Initially, Ian was going to be spelled Ean, but Aaron and I decided after meeting him that the traditional way of spelling Ian was more fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment